U.S. Healthcare Quickly Identifies Source of Problems to Minimize Patient Impact
Desafios do negócio
- Data center engineering staff concerned about new infrastructure equipment implementation
- Experiencing issues with ports on recently deployed switches with failures possibly due to SFPs
- Existing tools didn’t detect port level failures
- OptiView® XG used for service validation, conducting traffic generation and performance tests by pushing 10G line-rate traffic through critical devices and links
- Solution allows IT staff to proactively test and verify the environment prior to and during new network implementations
- Network analysis features identify port level errors, allowing IT to identify switch port and adapter failures as the cause of server performance degradations
- NETSCOUT® helped validate network & infrastructure changes before, during and after deployment to minimize project failures and/or delays
- Effective network mapping, path analysis, and identification of port level errors is speeding “time to know”
- Quick discovery of the root cause of network infrastructure-related problems to reduce patient impact
NETSCOUT OptiView XG Allows IT to Validate Network
and Infrastructure Changes Before, During, and After
Deployment to Minimize Project Failures and/or Delays
This leading U.S.-based healthcare provider serves millions of patients with services from tens of thousands of physicians and nurses, and hundreds of thousands of employees at numerous hospitals and hundreds of medical / outpatient offices.
Desafios do negócio
Safe and speedy patient treatment are top priorities for this healthcare organization, which means reducing potential networking issues that will impact the patient experience and quality of care. In preparation for a new infrastructure equipment implementation, the data center engineering staff had grave concerns about the switch vendor’s ability to deliver specified performance. This would make the critical task of achieving service assurance all the more challenging for IT.
Following a recent implementation, IT began to experience issues with ports on the newly deployed switches tied to failures attributed to the small form factor pluggable (SFP) transceivers. Unfortunately, the existing networking monitoring solution wasn’t able to detect the failures that were causing server performance degradations. The data center engineers recognized the need to validate their fiber cables and SFPs in order to isolate failures. Effective network analysis was required to identify port level errors.
NETSCOUT SolutionThe healthcare provider turned to NETSCOUT to help gain the vital insights needed to ensure patient care wouldn’t be impacted by network issues. IT deployed the NETSCOUT OptiView XG, a powerful network infrastructure analyzer for wireless and wired network discovery and troubleshooting.
Data center engineers utilized OptiView XG for service validation, conducting traffic generation and performance tests by pushing 10G line-rate traffic through critical devices and links. This industry-proven solution allows IT staff to proactively test and verify the environment prior to and during new network implementations. OptiView XG’s network analysis features enabled IT to recognize port level errors, so they could rule in or out switch port and adapter failures as the cause of server performance degradations.
NETSCOUT Solution in ActionEquipment refresh in the data centers is part of the IT strategy for this Healthcare provider and they have implemented the OptiView XG solution as a part of their deployment process as they introduce new network switches. A key differentiator in adding the OptiView XG as part of their overall NETSCOUT service assurance solution was the ability to perform traffic generation, up to 10 Gbps, for the purpose of stress testing the switch ports to expose hidden issues during preproduction staging. The data center engineers are also diligent in validating fiber cable and vendor-specific SFPs before deployment. Further, they have tested a critical 10 Gbps network connection to their MPLS routers. OptiView XG is helping this healthcare organization during implementation to prevent problems impacting new services and equipment once they are in production.
Business ValueNETSCOUT helped the IT team validate network and infrastructure changes before, during and after deployment to minimize project failures and/or delays. The OptiView XG enabled data center engineers to proactively test vendor specific SFPs and institute a standard process for deployment and preproduction staging.
The NETSCOUT solution offers network mapping and network path analysis that speeds “time to know.” Quick discovery of the root cause of network infrastructure-related problems has been instrumental in reducing issues that potentially could create patient impact and affect the quality of care.